Thursday, November 15, 2018
Help Build a New Home for Sparky at Como Park Zoo and Conservatory!
Join Como Friends on Give to the Max Day, as we dive in to support Como Harbor, the new seals and sea lions habitat now under construction at Como Zoo.
Thanks to a generous donation from our friends at Horton, your gift will be matched dollar for dollar, up to $30,000 on Minnesota’s greatest day of giving.
Go to www.givemn.org/organization/Como-Friends to make an online donation that can be matched on Give to the Max Day.
Thank you for your support!
Here’s what’s on the horizon at Como Harbor:
- splashy year-round salt water pools that will make it possible for seals and sea lions to swim, dive, bask and play through all four seasons
- a comfortable shaded amphitheater for Sparky the Sea Lion’s friends and fans
- innovative underwater viewing areas to give visitors a new glimpse of marine mammal behavior and deeper appreciation for Sparky’s wild cousins
- a new training and rehabilitation station for rescued seals and sea lions behind-the-scenes
- a naturalistic habitat design with rocky outcroppings to reflect Sparky’s native California coastline
- new restrooms and amenities for Como’s two million annual visitors
Made possible by generous gifts from the state of Minnesota and people just like you, Como Harbor’s state-of-the-art design will dramatically improve the care Como Zoo can provide its seals and sea lions, while creating unforgettable views and face-to-face experiences for Como’s two million annual visitors. Como Harbor is set to open to the public in Spring 2020.
Como Friends at 15
The nonprofit fundraising force at Como celebrates a new milestone
Sparky at 60
Minnesota’s favorite sea lion is still making a splash
Jewel of Como
Celebrating a century at the Marjorie McNeely Conservatory
Keeper Megan Elder preserves orangutans near and far