Visit Como Friends on Facebook for fun, earth-friendly ways to celebrate the season:
April 22 – April 30
- Take home tree-planting tips from Jennifer Love, one of the talented horticulturists at the Marjorie McNeely Conservatory.
- Take a tour of Xcel Energy’s Tiny House for simple ideas for cutting your home’s energy use.
- Meet Nan, Polar Bear Odyssey’s newest polar bear, and learn from Como zookeeper Becky about how you can help protect polar bears in the wild.
- “Xcel Energy and the Como Zoo present the Polar Bear Odyssey video, which highlights both how the polar bear exhibit contributes to energy conservation as well as how you can at home.” (See below)
Como Park Zoo and Conservatory would never miss a chance to celebrate Earth Day—even while we’re social distancing. That’s why we’re turning our annual “Party for the Planet” into a nine-day social media event, highlighting all the ways that we can help restore the earth, conserve energy, and protect the animals and plants we love.
From Earth Day on April 22 to Arbor Day on April 30, follow Como Friends’ Facebook page for fun daily posts and video shorts featuring cool conservation tips from Como’s zookeepers and horticulturists and our friends at Xcel Energy. From planting new trees, to opening inside doors, we’re highlighting do-able ideas for doing a little more to “Restore Our Earth,” the theme for the 51st annual Earth Day.
We’re also inviting Como’s community to join the pledge to be a Conservation Champ at home, taking small steps to save energy that can make a big difference for the environment we all depend on. By pledging to conserve, you’ll also be entered to win one of our fabulous Conservation Champ prizes including the chance to take part in a Como Zoo giraffe feeding, and an Energy Prize Pack from Xcel Energy featuring an Ecobee Smart Thermostat, Google Nest Home Max and an energy-efficient LED light bulb.
“As we move into spring, and look forward to spending more time outdoors and tending our yards, this is a great season to think about ways that we can each make our own corner of the world a little greener and cleaner,” says John Marshall, Director of Community Relations for Xcel Energy. “Whether you’re looking at gardening and landscaping ideas to help cut your home’s energy use, or committing to little changes, like keeping your lint filter clean, making a pledge to conserve more this year can have a big impact on your energy bill and in your community.”
WHAT WILL YOU COMMIT TO?
- Clean the lint filter in my dryer so it runs more efficiently.
- Have an open-door policy in my house, which allows for better circulation of warm and cool air, depending on the season.
- Plant a tree in my yard to provide shade for our house and air conditioner, resulting in as much as 25% savings in cooling energy costs. FYI, the Arbor Day Foundation, and the University of Minnesota Extension are great resources when selecting trees.
- Add evergreens to my backyard and reduce our annual home heating costs by 10-15%.
- Buy and install a smart programmable thermostat to help save big on energy costs and better manage our home’s heating and cooling comfort.
- Update lights in my house to Energy Star® LED light bulbs. FYI, Xcel Energy offers discounts of up to $3 per LED at participating retailers. Find discounts at xcelenergy.com/LightingDeals
- Plant pollinator-friendly plants in my garden to attract beneficial butterflies and bees. FYI, Como’s “All the Buzz” pollinator exhibit will be open in June!
TAKE THE PLEDGE BELOW
Join the Pledge to be a Conservation Champ at home!
Como Park Zoo and Conservatory and Xcel Energy have partnered together to celebrate Earth Day and Arbor Day with tips to save energy and protect the planet we love.
At Como Park Zoo and Conservatory, our Conservation Champions travel the globe to help protect wildlife far and wide, bringing conservation lessons back to share with our visitors. But you don’t need to leave home to help protect the animals and plants you love. Taking small steps at home to save energy can make a big difference for the environment we all depend on.
Xcel Energy has pledged to get to a carbon-free future by 2050.
Take the pledge and enter for a chance to win:
- An Energy Prize Pack from Xcel Energy: Ecobee Smart Thermostat, Google Nest Home Max and an energy-efficient LED light bulb.
- An opportunity for a Giraffe Feeding at Como Zoo!